Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Project 2 Critique


I got mixed feelings about this drawing just as I did the other one. Some really enjoyed the way I had crafted my drawing space and used coffee to stain and to rip the paper to make the spaces look older and more worn. Others said they did not understand why I was playing with space in the architecture as far as things growing and intervening in other spaces that didn't altogether make sense. I understand now what they were saying...if I pick such a literal subject matter I should keep it literal in some cases - abstraction of the subject matter in this case did not work. One thing people enjoyed was how I truly took the style I used for my first drawing and applied it to this drawing as well.

However, I truly enjoyed this project because it was a process that although was not familiar to me in the slightest, I was able to plan and carry out diligently, which I found out from our personality analysis is what I love doing. I first tested the coffee in several different ways on several different types of paper. I think planned out how many spaces I wanted to have, how deep they were going to be and how large I wanted the final piece to be. After constructing my drawing space I systematically drew in one space at a time until the piece was mostly finished and then added extra touches for emphasis of certain areas such as the more worn-looking front space/frame. If I could change some things about this piece it would be to use the coffee ground technique I developed more to get that worn look rather than the charcoal and I would increase the space size in one of the layers and in the window of the doorway to emphasize depth more because that is what I was really going for and now that I look at it properly it still seems rather flat.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this piece. I loved the texture when I was standing up close--I wanted to reach out and touch it. I also like how it looks from far away with all the layers. I think the only part that bothers me is where the lines come from the archway down the middle. This is probably because they're so centered on the drawing. The delicateness of the tree or vine on the left as it spreads out into the window is really well-done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dream like quality that your drawing has. The softened shapes and delicates lines. What were your words?

    ReplyDelete