Saturday, May 22, 2010

Emulation Project


I was not altogether certain on what everyone thought about my attempt at Emulating Eyvind Earle, the print graphic artist who specializes in landscapes. Earle has a stylized method of translating a landscape so I figured that emulating him would not be too difficult because he uses a lot of solid color and shapes, with intricate detail in the spots of color that are the leaves of his ornate trees. However, I discovered that mimicking a print with paint is very difficult to do; you just cannot get the same fine mark making and solid color with paint as you can with print, or perhaps I was just not with the talent.

One thing the class unanimously agreed on was that the landscape was being mostly covered and perhaps hindered by the large tree branch in the foreground. I chose to put the branch in the foreground because it is a common theme in Earle's prints, however my branch looked awkward and did not recede into space as Earle's do so well. Also it was rather thick and covered a lot of the top half of the landscape, hiding it. I think the class was also confused on my color choices, but I chose this palette from Earle's own prints and the black trees are common in his compositions. If I could re-do the project I would try for better mark making and strive for a better color palette and make the tree branch a bit smaller and have it recede into space more.

No comments:

Post a Comment