Saturday, May 22, 2010

Final Project 1: "If Nature Had A Say"


I honestly was not expecting the class to choose this drawing to put in the show, but since they did I had to really think about why I made the decisions I did when I was drawing this. I used the model and an image that I took of my barn and was truthfully trying to do something original and interesting just to see if I could do it. I love drawing from my imagination and do not get the opportunity to as much as I would like. So for the show I concluded that I was attempting to depict a struggle between human-kind, nature and possessions and how each can be monsters towards each other or on their own.

However, the class and professors invited to critique did not get my ideas from my drawing, they actually got ideas of religion, virginity and sexuality. They thought the title of the piece should be changed to "Like A Virgin." This was amusing to me, because I was not thinking of any of these ideas when I was drawing, although that does not mean I necessarily disagree with their interpretations. I think this was mainly due to the fact that the barn looked more like a church structure to the class and professors. So although the drawing was executed well and was interesting and original, the ideas behind it were not as well formulated per-say.

No comments:

Post a Comment